Image: undated but appears to be circa 1939 based on the motor vehicles; courtesy Ovitt Community Library Model Colony Room, Ontario, California
“[Conrad] Stroh — “Connie” to everyone who knew him — operated one of the smaller gasoline stations anywhere at the northwest corner of Euclid Avenue and Transit Street from 1931 to 1947. He had two pumps, did oil changes, and had a small one-man building, probably to keep him dry or out of the hot sun.”
“The tiny station was a short block below Holt Avenue (then A Street) and the popular Ford Lunch. Folks driving from Los Angeles to Palm Springs filled up at the restaurant and Stroh’s station.”
Excerpts from Joe Blackstone Daily Bulletin history column at http://www.dailybulletin.com/lifestyle/20170626/how-an-ontario-man-made-a-tiny-gas-station-a-big-success .