Image from the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, Ohio via https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1591 .
“The lead-up to World War 2 for the United States saw a period of constant progression for its bomber force… [The B-23] prototype went airborne for the first time on July 27th, 1939 – just months ahead of the official start of World War 2 in Europe (September 1st). Serial production was begun that same month and ended in September of 1940 with all 38 aircraft completed.
“By the time of the American entry into the war [in 1941], the B-23 had already met its performance match as newer, better medium types were taken into USAAC service. As such, the B-23 was never seen as an active combat performer during the war but instead relegated for service use as a trainer, stateside maritime patrol, and transport.”
Excerpt from https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1591 .
“The maiden flight of the B-23 took place from Clover Field at Santa Monica on July 27, 1939. After being evaluated by the Materiel Division at Wright Field in Ohio, the B-23 entered service with the 89th Reconnaissance Squadron based at March Field in California.”
Excerpt from http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b23.html .
Image: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SBS19391112.1.13&e=——-en–20–1–txt-txIN——–1 .
Armistice Day became a U.S. public holiday in 1939
“…It was on the 11th of November, 1918 that the Germans signed the Armistice to mark the end of the First World War , and therefore, the day became known as Armistice Day.
“U.S. President Woodrow Wilson first announced the Armistice Day in the year 1919. Subsequently, in 1926, the Congress of the United States passed a resolution to request the President to observe Armistice Day on the 11th of November with US flag celebrations. However, it was not until 1939 that [the] public holiday was declared on Armistice Day. An act that was approved in May, 1938 made November 11th of every year a legal holiday. ”
Excerpt from https://www.gettysburgflag.com/origins-of-veterans-day .
Later, the holiday name was changed to Veterans’ Day.
Image: circa 1939 postcard.
Image: 1941 map from http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtTejon.html .
“Fort Tejon was established on August 10, 1854 at a point in the Tejon Pass where the Coast Range meets the Sierra Nevada and about three miles north from the present Lebec Station… It continued to be occupied until June 15, 1861 when its regular garrison was removed for transfer to the east. It was reoccupied by California Volunteers from August 17, 1863 to September 11, 1864, when, with the final removal of the Native Americans from Tejon Pass to the Tule River Reserve, it was abandoned… The military reservation and its 25 structures then became a part of the Rancho Tejon, a Mexican Land Grant, purchased by Lieutenant Beale, who eventually increased his holdings to nearly 200,000 acres. Part of Fort Tejon’s site is now a State Historical Monument under the California Beaches and Parks System. It was deeded to the State in 1939 by Rancho Tejon.
The Mythical Fort Tejon “Camel Corps”
“George Stammerjohn, State Historian II, California Department of Parks and Recreation
“At Fort Tejon, camels were NOT an essential element of the Fort’s history. Camels were at the Fort for only 5-1/2 months, from Nov. 17, 1859 to mid April 1860. The camels were never used by the soldiers at Fort Tejon. They were government property and were kept here only a short time during the winter of 1859/60 before being moved to the Los Angeles Quartermaster Depot on their way to Benicia where they were auctioned off at a loss to the Government in 1864.”
Excerpts from http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtTejon.html .
“A traffic engineer of the [California] Division of Highways gives the information that 1,750,000 automobiles passed over this route [at Fort Tejon] in 1939…
Excerpt from https://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/cullimore_oldadobes.htm . Read about the old adobes on the site at the link.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt, in a January 1939 special message to Congress, requested a “minimum 3,000-plane increase” for the Air Corps. In April, Congress allocated funds to expand the Air Corps that included adding 2,500 to 5,000 aircraft and more staff and facilities. The War Department resumed work on development of the long-range B-29 bomber that had been put on hold due to infighting between ground and air advocates in the military.
The history of the Army Air Corps since World War I and its later separation into the Air Force can be found here: http://military.wikia.com/wiki/US_Army_Air_Corps .
U.S. battleships at anchor at Long Beach, California with a view of southern California beyond.